Photo by p_c_w
The 2012 Summer Olympics went out with a three-hour bang as the closing ceremony emanated from the 80,000-seat Olympic Stadium in London on Sunday night.
Bringing out hundreds of famous British entertainers from the past six decades, the star-studded ceremony featured performances by:
- Beady Eye
- Russell Brand
- Ray Davies
- Fatboy Slim
- Jessie J
- Annie Lennox
- George Michael
- One Direction
- Pet Shop Boys
- Brian May and Roger Taylor of Queen
- Spice Girls
- The Who
Of the dozens of songs performed, some of the most notable in British rock history included:
- “A Day in the Life”, “Here Comes the Sun” and “I Am the Walrus” by The Beatles
- A medley of David Bowie songs
- “Imagine” by John Lennon
- “Wonderwall” by Oasis
- “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “We Will Rock You” by Queen
- “Baba O’Riley”, “See Me, Feel Me” and “My Generation” by The Who
BBC reported that the ceremony drew more than 26.3 million Brits to the telly, capturing more than 80% of the country’s share.
Fans in the U.K. can watch the entire ceremony on the BBC iPlayer.